Adventure & Leadership Camps
The following Camp courses are available at CFL Summer School. Click on the name of the course to read its description.
Course Delivery Method
* In-Person Only
Parkland Voyageur Adventure Camp *$
Prerequisite: Completion of Grade 9
Connections for Learning has partnered with YWCA Yowochas and CHANGE Health Alberta to create Camp Yowochas, a day program that incorporates canoe paddling, wildlife exploration, outdoor education, Indigenous ways of knowing, and the option of a national brigade experience in August with the Voyageur Brigade Society of Edmonton.
Based at Camp Yowochas, students in this active, outdoor summer school will learn about physical education and Canada in a brand new way - all while earning high school credit. Don't miss out on this exciting, affordable learning experience!
Students will have the opportunity to earn the following credits:
- HCS 2020 First Aid and CPR with AED (1 credit)
- WLD1050 People, Culture & Wildlife Heritage (1 credit)
- WLD1060 Wilderness Navigation (1 credit)
- WLD1100 Outdoor Cooking Theory (1 credit)
- WLD1130 Outdoor Survival Skills (1 credit)
- WLD2100 Outdoor Cooking Practice (1 credit)
- ENS1010 Intro to Stewardship (1 credit)
- ENS1040 Living With The Environment (1 credit)
- HSS1020 Nutrition and Wellness (1 credit)
- HSS1100 Nature and Wellness (1 credit)
Locations: Connections for Learning & Camp Yowochas (Township Road 532, Fallis, AB).
Dates & Times:
- July 2, 9am-4pm @ CFL - In-class learning
- July 5-9, 9am-4pm @ Yowochas - Outdoor learning, including:
- Boat Safety
- Wildlife Skills
- July 12-16, 9am-4pm @ Yowochas - Outdoor learning, including:
- Outdoor Education
- Indigenous Ways of Knowing with Elders and Knowledge Keepers
- This course has an additional fee - please see the Summer School Fees page for details. A funding subsidy is available.
- Students may catch a bus from Spruce Grove to Connections for Learning and Camp Yowochas. The bus departs at 8:15am and returns at 4:45pm.
Yowochas Leaders in Training Summer Camp *$
Prerequisite: Age 16-17 (must be 16 by July 1, 2021)
Connections for Learning and Parkland School Division are excited to partner with the YWCA to offer a three-week Leaders in Training Camp on Lake Wabamun this summer.
Leaders in Training will build their skills in:
- Risk management
- Conflict resolution
Participants will explore various leadership styles, learning to recognize their own strengths and areas for growth. This is an intense, full-time opportunity to become the leader you know you can be.
Campers will live on the Yowochas site for three weeks with a one-weekend break in the middle. They will also travel to Nordegg for wilderness adventures in a mountain setting. Engage in valuable self-reflection, team building, and other collaborative activities that contribute to self-growth, while participating in a variety of physically-demanding activities, including ziplining, rope climbing and open-water canoeing.
On top of their memorable summer camp experience, students will also have the ability to earn high school credit in the areas of Health & Safety, Work Experience, and Career Studies.
The exact type and number of these credits can vary by student - CFL will provide each student with the opportunity to earn credits that align with their interests and academic history, avoiding overlap with credits they have acquired previously.
Credits will be awarded based on counsellor recommendations, and each student's level of self-reflection and participation in activities.
Location: Camp Yowochas (Township Road 532, Fallis, AB).
Dates: July 26 - August 13
- Students interested in earning credit through the Leaders in Training Camp must first register for Summer School with Parkland School Division. Once accepted, they must then register with for the camp itself by visiting the YWCA Yowochas website.
- More information about the Leaders in Training Camp, including the registration process and requirements, can be found on the Yowochas website and in their Summer Camp Guide.