Virtual Mental Health Education Sessions
May 26, 2021 - Alberta Health Services, in collaboration with The Mental Health Foundation, is proud to offer FREE online programming for parents and caregivers of children and youth. Their aim is to increase awareness and reduce stigma of the mental health challenges that children and adolescents experience, provide parents and caregivers with evidence-based mental health information, and provide strategies that support mental wellness.
A variety of FREE Virtual Mental Health Education Sessions are being offered this June in three formats: Drop-In Series, Lunch & Learn Webinars and Caregiver Education Sessions.
Drop-In Series are for parents and caregivers who are looking to strengthen their foundational parenting skills, address parenting challenges, learn how to 'bounce back' when faced with stress and anxiety, and support their child’s healthy social and emotional development.
In these series of workshops, caregivers will receive practical information, share parenting tips, and participate in discussion and reflection.
Each Drop-In Series is held in multiple parts, consisting of weekly evening sessions from 6-7:30pm.
- SEEDS: Growing Parenting Skills
- Managing Meltdowns and Shutdowns - Wednesday, June 2
- Helping Our Kids Figure Things Out - Wednesday, June 9
- Effective Consequences - Wednesday, June 16
- Anxiety Series
- Part 1: An Introduction - Thursday, June 3
- Part 2: Calming Our Bodies - Thursday, June 10
- Part 3: Settling Our Minds - Thursday, June 17
- Part 4: Overcoming Avoidance - Thursday, June 24
Lunch & Learn Webinars
These free 60 minute webinars are for parents/caregivers who are looking to strengthen their child’s/adolescent’s ability to thrive through life’s challenges and discover strategies that can help build resiliency and overall family wellness.
Each Lunch & Learn is held in multiple, once-per-week noon hour sessions from 12-1pm.
- Mindfulness: Benefits for the Whole Family
- Part 1 - Monday, May 31
- Part 2 - Monday, June 7
- Parenting Teens in the 21st Century
- Part 1 - Wednesday, June 2
- Part 2 - Wednesday, June 9
- Sleep and Your Family's Mental Health
- Part 1 - Monday, June 14
- Part 2 - Monday, June 21
Caregiver Education Sessions
The Caregiver Education Sessions focus on the 3 R’s: reduce stigma, receive information, and reflect on strategies. Each session provides evidence-based research, common challenges faced by children and youth, possible treatment options, supportive strategies, and information/resources for further support.
These free 90 minute online sessions are intended to provide parents, caregivers, teachers, and community members with introductory information regarding mental health challenges that can affect children and youth.
Each Caregiver Education Session is held in the evening from 6-7:30pm.
- Supporting Self-Regulation in Elementary School Children - Tuesday, June 1
- Technology and the Teenage Brain: Digital Wellness for Families - Tuesday, June 8
- More Than Just a Bad Day: Understanding Depression and Self-Injury in Youth - Tuesday, June 15
How to Register
To learn more about the available programs and/or to register, please visit the Alberta Health Services Children, Youth & Families, Addiction & Mental Health website at www.cyfcaregivereducation.ca/virtual-education.
All sessions will be held online through the Zoom conferencing application. A link to access the online session will be sent by email to those who have registered for the session.
For more information contact:
Alberta Health Services Children, Youth & Families, Addiction & Mental Health